Tuesday, May 9, 2017

May 9th

1. Read and take notes on Shakespearean Comedy found here: Shakespeare Comedies
2. Remember QUIZ over Induction-Act 2 MAY 10th/11th
3. In your notes evaluate and annotate the following quotes from Act 1.
Things to look for and note:
  • The speaker and to whom is he/she speaking to? Is this important? 
  • What is the context of this quotation? 
  • Are there noteworthy diction choices? 
  • What do we learn about this character? 
  • What do we learn about the plot? 
  • What is the underlying meaning of this quote. What is implied? 
  • What is the tone? 
  • How would you summarize this dialogue? 

1. “…Pisa, renowned for grave citizens,/ Gave me my being and my father first,/ A merchant of great traffic through the world,/ Vincentio, come of the Bentivolii/, Vincentio’s son, brought up in Florence,/ It shall become to serve all hopes conceived / To deck his fortune with his virtuous deeds./ And therefore, Tranio, for the time I study/ Virtue and that part of philosophy/ Will I apply that treats of happiness/ By virtue specially to be achieved./ Tell me thy mind, for I have Pisa left/ And am to Padua come, as he that leaves/ A shallow plash to plunge him in the deep/ And with satiety seeks to quench his thirst.” (1.1.24)


2. "Why came I hither but to that intent? / Think you a little din can daunt mine ears? / Have I not heard the sea, puffed up with winds, / Rage like an angry boar chafed with sweat? / have I not heard great ordnance in the field, / And Heaven's artillery thunder in the skies? / Have I not pitched battle heard / Loud 'larums, neighing steeds, and trumpets' clang? / And do you tell me of a woman's tongue / That gives not half so great a blow to hear / As will a chestnut in a farmer's fire? / Tush, tush! Fear boys with bugs." (1.2.194)


3. "For how I firmly am resolved you know:
That is, not to bestow my youngest daughter
Before I have a husband for the elder.
If either of you both love Katherine
Because I know you well and love you well,
Leave shall you have to court her at your pleasure."  (1.1.48-54)

4. "I pray you, sir, is it your will / To make a stale of me amongst these mates?" (1.1.33)

No comments:

Post a Comment